Shaykh Abdul Hakim Murad’s series of Islamic one liners not dissimilar to Zen Koans, have always fascinated me. The full set is available at Masud.co.uk. The latest set (contentions 12) has recently been put online at http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/contentions12.htm. Here are some samples.
- The saint is he whose presence makes you love the Prayer.
- If your Islam does not attract pure hearts, it is not Islam.
- If you put down your tasbih you will not pick up a rifle safely.
- The wife’s vulnerability is not the husband’s strength.
- Do not use your beard to open people’s ears.
- A politician deals with symptoms, a leader deals with causes.
- You cannot arrive by making an effort, but you cannot arrive without making an effort.
Allah bless him. He’s one of the most learned and articulate modern Islamic scholars around.